Saturday, April 7, 2007

Lewis and Piper stand alone

Thank you to all who have participated in this little project. I have chosen to not type a list of everyone's 3 best books since they are simple to find under the "comments" on the previous post.

At this point, no one book stands out as a huge favorite. However, two authors have been mentioned on several occasions. It seems that C. S. Lewis and John Piper are liked by many different people. These two men wrote at different times, in different countries, and from different denominations, but they clearly both speak to many people through their writings. Why do you think this is the case? I would be interested to hear. Also, for those of you who like them both, what commonalities, if any, do you see between the two?

On a somewhat related topic, this morning my daughter, Caroline, informed me that I had not listed my three favorite books. In listing these, I'm really not trying to jump on the Lewis/Piper bandwagon, but I just cannot help it. Just so you know, I had decided on these before anyone else left a comment.

1) "Let the Nations Be Glad!" by John Piper
2) "The Chronicles of Narnia" by C. S. Lewis (all 7 books in one volume)
3) "To the Golden Shore" by Courtney Anderson (a biography of Adoniram Judson)

No comments: