Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Extreme Makeover? (Part II)

My wife, Alice, recently posted about the ridiculous nature of all of those "makeovers" that we see on TV or in magazines. Her article is called "Extreme Makeover?" You need to take a look at it; even I laughed at her pictures.

In looking at her photos, one thing that struck me was all of the work that women in our culture (and in most cultures for that matter) have to go through just to make themselves look socially acceptable. At the same time, men have to do very little. For that I am happy. You can see in my pictures below that I barely had to do anything to go from "before" to "after." Alice was both amused and disgusted with my whole transformation process.


If nothing else, I suppose we can all be happy that the Lord does not care about outward appearances. I Samuel 16:6-7 tells us the following: When they came, he looked on Eliab and thought, “Surely the Lord's anointed is before him.” But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.” (ESV)

No comments: