Thursday, May 3, 2007

Exercise (times 2)

Since we have returned to the states, I have been trying to get back into two forms of exercise: both physical and mental. It has been difficult to say the least.

While we were living in South Asia, I could find absolutely nowhere to go to run. I have been running for the past 8 years and really enjoy it. By God's grace I even ran a marathon in Richmond, VA in 2004. Yes, I did complete it, but during the last three miles old women were running past me.

Anyway, I craved physical exercise while in Asia, but there was simply nowhere to do it. The picture here is a typical street scene from our city. Now how was I supposed to run in that? So while we were overseas, I actually gained weight. I feel gross now and am determined to get back in shape.

As far as mental exercise goes, there was plenty of that during our language learning. Each day was a challenge as we tried to battle our way through conversations in our new language. It was both rewarding and frustrating. Mainly, it exhausted us each day. While my mental exercise was good, it kept me from studying NT Greek. So while my new language increased daily, my Greek faded. There was simply no way to keep on top of both languages.

Now that we are back here, I have turned my attention back to Greek. I have made it most of the way back through Dave Black's Learn to Read New Testament Greek, and will soon be starting in It's Still Greek to Me. I look forward to the challenge. The participles have me "on the run," but I am determined to master them.

One helpful website for NT Greek and OT Hebrew is Song of the Lamb.

I am excited that my wife, Alice, will be joining me in both these endeavors. She has started running again, and will be launching into Dr. Black's first book as soon as I can complete it.

I know this verse may be taken a bit out of context, but I thought it applied anyway. Paul tells us in I Corinthians 10:31, "So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." I sincerely hope this is the case as we exercise our bodies and minds.

No comments: