Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Reformation Heroes

I like this image because it has six of my heroes of the faith. Not surprisingly, they all happen to be Reformed. From left to right, we see Jonathan Edwards, John Owen, Martin Luther, John Bunyan, John Calvin, and Charles Spurgeon. All six of these men have impacted my life through their writings. They all have a high view of the glory of God and His absolute sovereignty over all of life. All six have probably impacted to one degree or another the church family you are a part of.

The above image is actually the homepage picture of Reformation Theology. This is the blog from the Monergism.com website. Monergism "is the doctrine that the Holy Spirit is the only efficient agent in regeneration - that the human will possesses no inclination to holiness until regenerated, and therefore cannot cooperate in regeneration." I'll give a hearty "Amen!" to that. I certainly didn't want God before He regenerated my heart.

I'm very grateful for those heroes of the faith who went before me. I'm thankful to God for their writings. I'm thankful that they helped me see that God is completely sovereign and free. I'm thankful that they helped me see grace for how amazing it really is.

No comments: