Sunday, June 29, 2008

Why "Hammer and Nail"?

Some may read this blog and wonder about the title. Why is it called Hammer and Nail? There are a few reasons:

1. Since my last name is Carpenter, it seemed appropriate to continue with the construction theme.

2. Jesus was a carpenter by trade. Mark 6:3 says, "'Is this not the carpenter, the Son of Mary, and brother of James, Joses, Judas, and Simon? And are not His sisters here with us?' And they were offended at Him." (NKJV)

3. Jesus was crucified using hammers and nails. John 20:25 says, "The other disciples therefore said to him, 'We have seen the Lord.' So he said to them, 'Unless I see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe.'"

4. I hope the blog title will remind both me and all who read this blog of Jesus' admonition in Matthew 16:24, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me."

5. My wife suggested the name. It was far better than anything else I could come up with.

No comments: